Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Welcome to My Blog Spot

So I am now entering into uncharted territory ... blogging. I have somewhat mixed feelings about that. There's something about things like blogging and tweeting and posting statuses on social networking sites that seems so ... egotistical. Not that I have any problem writing or talking about myself and things that interest me! It just seems a bit pretentious to think that one's goal these days is to have "followers." Guess I should check to make sure I have enough Kool-Aid on hand ...

At the same time, I think there's some value to sharing information and ideas, especially if one is trying to promote ideas that can help others in some way. Back in 1996, I created my own website, the "Odyssey of Infinite Possibilities," which was "dedicated to the development of human potential and the advancement of ideas, philosophies and actions for the betterment of society and humankind." Rather lofty goals, but admirable, I suppose. As I recall, the site had two main sections -- "Becoming Better People" and "Building a Better World", where I included extensive links to sites that I thought would help people to accomplish each of those goals. Among the keywords I used to describe the site was the phrase "pragmatic idealism," which is still how I would describe my approach to life, the universe and everything. (And yes, the answer is 42.) But over the years, I got busy, and no longer had time to maintain the site, and the free hosting services I was using disappeared or went on to pursue more lucrative business. I guess I see this blog as an opportunity to once again help promote the idea that we can indeed become better people, helping to build a better world.

7 comments:

  1. Outstanding!
    Awesome job, especial creating and maintaining a web site back in 96. I have to agree with the mixed feelings about blogging and tweeting and having followers. Takes some getting use to. How about Facebook? Now that to me is absurd. It is like a contest to see who can have the most friends. I hear some of the facebook users say "I have well over 500 friend." I say wow how many of them do you truly know. How many of them will come to your assistance when you need them. How can you call them your friend, when you don't even know them. I guess however if it can help make the world a better place then it makes it worth while.

    Looking forward to see more here keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I think that you are a flower child of the 60's either literally or figuratively. I tried my best but I was just a kid. The Koolaid comment was priceless. I wonder how many peoople will catch the meaning... doesnt matter... it was brilliant to show your point. Yes, this is a generation of people who think that the world does revolve around them and it is proven daily in their lack of personal interactions. They will tweet, blog, and email each other sitting in a classroom togther. Amazing. Real peace comes from knowing each other, not just our intimate details before we know their address. If there is anything we know it is that people still need people and technology is not going away..... got any koolaid?? Im getting thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just look at it as another means to communicate with others, although I'm still a fan of the old-fashhioned face-to-face talk! By the way, I have over 200 "friends" on Facebook...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be interesting to see which technologies/social networking advances will "take hold" and which ones will just fade away into the likes of VH1's One-Hit-Wonders. Only time will tell. I graduated high school in the 80's and it was often said that we were very indulgent and lacked a wider focus. It was the "me" generation. Don't be too hard on the "young people" around us. I think some of these traits are a product of being young.

    Nice blog Karen that really gets at some important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social networking doesn't have to be egotistical - I think of it as a way of sharing thoughts and ideas, no matter how inane they may seem offhand. There's education to be found in everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Matthew that it depends how social networking is used. I know I am careful with social networking, the only one I really use though is facebook but every person on my account I know fairly well or did at some point. I moved away from my home town to go to Kent State and facebook allows me to be able to communicate with friends as well as family that I do not have the chance to meet with on a regular basis.

    Anyway, great job with your blog it looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Karen, I laughed coffee right out my nose reading the "kool-aid" comment! I had similar feelings when I started my blog - still do actually. Seems a bit presumptuous and self important... I find myself questining “why do I think anyone might be interested in what I have to say?” And, at the same time I found it a great way to get the thoughts out...so I don't lay in bed tossing and turning, spinning phrases that get written down on tiny scraps of paper and lost. So, have fun -- and pass the kool-aid!

    ReplyDelete